Photo Contest for 2018 Geology Calendar
Please submit your photos for the third edition of the Saskatchewan Geology Calendar by submitting them to:
by March 31, 2017.
Some of the rules and guidelines of the contest are as follows:
- Photos have to be submitted before March 31, 2017.
- The two main criteria each photo has to meet are that it needs to be from Saskatchewan and needs to be of a geologically interesting feature or landscape.
- For the first time this year, we are allowing people or animals in the photos, provided they are not the main focal point.
- By submitting the photo you are acknowledging and giving permission that, should your photo be selected, you allow publication of the image in the Saskatchewan Geological Society 2018 Geological Wall Calendar and in additional copy-righted reproductions of it.
- The original photo is of suffiencent quality to be printed at 13x9".
- When submitting the photo please save them in this format: LastName_FirstName_tagline of the photo with rough location.
The winners of the contest will be selected by the end of April and notified thereafter. The reward for contest winners will be to have their submitted photo featured in the 2018 calendar and credited to them. Each winner will also be provided with two copies of the calendar, an item of SGS clothing, and a free SGS membership for one year.
The second edition of a calendar bringing Saskatchewan's geoscience into everyone's kitchen and living room will be available soon. Please scroll down for details and to find where you can obtain your copy. It is more than just any other calendar as you learn about many fun facts pertaining to the geoscience of our province.
Congratulations to the winner of our 2017 photo contest: Sally Gray's photo from Chaplin was selected for the month of December.
How to obtain a calendar?
The calendar retails for a price of $10 (1-4 copies), $8 (5-9 copies) and $6 (>10 copies). It will be available for retail from early October until the middle of January.
In Regina, the calendar is available each fall at the MacKenzie Art Gallery, the Royal Saskatchewan Museum, and at the Artful Dodger, as well as at the University of Regina bookstore.
In Saskatoon, the calendar is now available at the U of S bookstore, the U of S Geology Department, and at McNally Robinson bookstore.
You can also place larger orders of the calendar online by completing an order form (click here to download).
2016 Geological Calendar of Saskatchewan
The idea for the Calendar was born in 2015 and a committee of SGS members (see below) worked hard to create and design Saskatchewan's first Geological Wall Calendar for 2016. The purpose of the calendar, apart from the obvious, is to educate the general public about Saskatchewan geology and its impact on our lives and prosperity. Monthly photos feature various scenes from the 3.4 billion years of Earth history thus far recorded in the province from microscopic scale to landscape views spanning the Precambrian Shield in the north to the southern prairies.
In 2016 the Society printed 1000 calendars, most of which were sold, with some having been handed out free to schools across the Regina area.
The 2016 Wall calendar is still available for half price ($5) by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org (click email address). If you want to receive it in the mail, shipping and handling will be extra. Shipping within Canada is $5, to the US $10. Prepayment is required for all orders.
Kevin Ansdell, Ken Ashton, Monica Cliveti, Jason Cosford (design), Janis Dale (secretary), Michelle Hanson, Ralf Maxeiner (chair); Ryan Morelli.